Monday, August 22, 2016

Too Many Cucumbers--What to Do? Freezer Pickles

Too Many Cucumbers--What to Do?  Freezer Pickles

Long ago and far away, Ellen lived with me.  Whenever we had too many cucumbers, she would make cucumber pickles.  I didn’t like pickles, so I never tried them.  She ate them with abandon. I was stupid.

I found myself with way more cucumbers than I could eat, and I remembered her pickles.  Maybe I would like them?  I talked to her about it, and she wasn’t sure where the recipe was, but gave me some hints.  I looked all over and couldn’t find it.  She told me as much as she could remember, so I started to look around on the Internet.

I found a recipe that looked close and made a half batch--in case I didn’t like it.  They have to sit overnight before freezing.  The next day, I tried them and liked them.  I made another half batch and my cucumber problem was under control.

Here is the recipe I used:

Crispy freezer pickles
6 or 7 cups sliced cucumbers
2 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup diced onions
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. Salt

In a large bowl mix all ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves.
Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend.

Fill freezer containers, label, date and freeze until ready to use

No comments:

Post a Comment