Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Book Review: “Agnes Grey” by Anne Bronte

Book Review: “Agnes Grey” by Anne Bronte


This was Anne Bronte’s first novel.  I read her other one, Tenant of Wildfell Hall,” and I thought it was riveting.  

This one wasn’t riveting.  Still, I liked this book, but I can’t really say why.  The first part of it was about how difficult the life is of a governess and the second part was a subtle and nice romance.  There wasn’t anything exciting, and the romance was rather predictable.  Yet, I really enjoyed the book.

It must have been because of the quality of the writing.  It was well-written and never boring.  The main character was very likeable and sincere.

This, like many first novels, was rather autobiographical--at least in the first part.  Anne Bronte did spend some time as a governess, though I don’t think it ended up in romance for her.

I highly recommend it if you like old British literature.

Definitely a book that women will enjoy much more than men.

No comments:

Post a Comment