Friday, August 12, 2016

Book Review: Three Daughters of Madame Liang by Pearl S. Buck

Book Review: Three Daughters of Madame Liang by Pearl S. Buck

I have read a couple books by Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize in Literature winning author, Pearl S. Buck, and I loved them.  When I saw this one, I didn’t hesitate to buy it.  I am glad to say that it is another fine book written by her.

She spent her early years, as a daughter of missionaries, in China.  Her understanding of the Chinese culture and people brings her novels to life.

This story takes place after the communists took over the government.  Madame Liang sent her three daughters to America to escape Communism.  The story is about their return to their home country and what they learn, both good and bad, about the changes.

I know that probably doesn’t sound exciting--and it isn’t an exciting book.  Instead it is a fascinating book that explores China and its culture--contrasting it with our own.  I felt reading this book was like sipping cup after cup of Chinese tea.

The book takes place in the 1950’s and was published in 1969.

As a side note, she was born in Hillsboro, WV--also the birthplace of Ellen’s horse, Dante.

No comments:

Post a Comment