Monday, December 5, 2016

Book Review: “Born to Run” by Bruce Springsteen

Book Review: “Born to Run” by Bruce Springsteen

I have been a Bruce fan--since forever.  No other music resonates with my like his has through the decades.  When I heard he wrote an autobiography, it didn’t take long for Kevin to acquire a copy of it to give to me as a gift.  

More like a series of essays put in chronological order, he explores all aspects of his music and his life--and how is life affects his music.  Much of it is written in a lyrical manner--making it a joy to read.  

I was surprised to find out how much he suffered from his father’s severe depression, and later how he suffered from his own.  

Much to my satisfaction, he clearly explained why he broke up with the E Street Band for the first time.  It made sense.  I finally forgave him.  I am so glad he did end up back with them.  If you ever have a chance to see them, even if you aren’t a big fan, their concerts are truly transcendent.

I found out that his daughter isn’t the only horse person in the family.  He ended up getting a horse, too, and through many bumps and bruises, learned how to ride.

I wish he would have gone into more details about his more current albums--some of them I feel are just as masterful as his more famous, earlier albums, but that is my only complaint about the book.


If you are a Boss fan, this book is a must read.

No comments:

Post a Comment