Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Book Review: "Ayesha: Return of She" by H. Rider Haggard - 1904

A couple years ago, I found the novel, "She" in my attic and read it with delight.  Growing up with the movies of Indiana Jones, I have developed a fondness for adventure tales in distant lands.  She as in "She who Must be Obeyed" certainly was just that.  It was one of the bestsellers in its time.

This book is it's sequel, and takes place in Tibet.  The first half is as good as the original as our main characters search for She, but it did slow down a lot once they found her and got a bit boring.  I thought there was too much description in the ceremonies, etc.  The end became riveting and as surprising as the original book. 

I'll try some more Haggard novels in the future--including the sequel to this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment