Thursday, January 26, 2017

Book Review: "Free Air" by Sinclair Lewis

Sinclair Lewis is one of my favorite authors.  With all the talk about "It Can't Happen Here," he has been on my mind.  I thought I would see what other books of his were available on Project Gutenberg.

I decided to try "Free Air."  It was serialized in "The Saturday Evening Post" in 1919.  A daughter decides to take her father on a road trip for the betterment of his health.  Now imagine the conditions and the types of cars back in pre-WWI.  That was what attracted me to the story, initially.  What I found was a love story between a well off young lady and a working class young man.  They learn about each other's world as they learn about love.  They also have a few adventures on the way.

I liked this book a lot, as I have liked all the Sinclair Lewis novels.  He is another somewhat forgotten novelist, and I really hope that the attention that has been drawn to "It Can't Happen Here" will revive interest in his other awesome novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment