Saturday, January 28, 2017

Algebra

I am such a nerd.  I love math--always did from about 10 years of age.  In high school, I went up to Calculus and got As.  I never took any math at Community College because I didn't have to.  I did get a job where I used math every day--printing estimator.  I even solved word problems all the time.  If I came up with something out of the ordinary, I would just turn it into a formula.

Since I have been retired, I don't have an outlet for my math skills, and I found I missed it.  I have been playing around with the idea of relearning all the stuff I forgot from lack of use.  I heard about the Kahn Academy, and I finally looked into it.

It is free on-line courses of the high school level.  I tried out a lesson, and I realized that this kind of learning would work well for me.

I started Algebra I.  As I go through it, I remember a lot of it, and for the most part, I am finding it easy.  I have the same old usual problem I always had in high school--forgetting to bring down my negative signs!

One of the reasons for starting from the beginning is that I don't remember the terminology.  Without that, it may be hard to understand the explanations on the harder math

Since this is fun, I believe I will keep going with it at least through this course for now.  It would be awesome to get as far as Calculus, but it could take a few years to get that far.  I am sure it won't remain so easy as I climb out the early courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment