Sunday, September 18, 2016

Book Review: Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

This is my third Joseph Conrad book that I read.  The first was "In the Heart of Darkness" followed by "Victory."  All three are good books.  The one that I can't remember the name of is my favorite.

This one is narrated by Marlowe.  He narrated "Victory," too.  I don't know who he is, but he likes studying  characters, and so do I.

Lord Jim is a name given to an ordinary person named Jim.  Jim was a romantic and loved the sea.  He pictured himself playing a romantic part in a sea adventure.  He became a sailor and things went really badly for him.  The last thing he turned out to be was  a romantic hero, and he spent his time running from his past.

Things started to look up for him, and then trouble showed up.

Conrad isn't an easy read, and you have to be patient with him.  It takes a long time for his stories to get going, but if you enjoy good characters and stories from exotic places, you won't mind the slow start.  I am looking forward to reading more of his books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment