Thursday, June 7, 2018

My First Bruce Springsteen Concert

   I have been a huge Bruce Springsteen fan--my whole life, just about.  When we were teens, we even had a dog we named Brucie.
    It was his first stop here on the "Born to Run" tour.  I had a boyfriend that bought tickets to take me to see him.  Well, things didn't work out between us.  I wanted to wait until after the concert to break up with him, but I just couldn't stand being with him anymore.  I had to sacrifice the concert for my sanity.  I broke up with him.
   A few weeks later, he contacted me about the concert.  I told him I would love to buy the tickets from him.  I was the bigger fan, after all.  He refused.  He said the only way I could go is to go with him.  I decided I could put up with him for the evening so that I could see Bruce.
   I didn't know where the seats were--we really weren't talking.  In fact, the whole ride out to the Richfield Coliseum--I don't think we exchanged more than a few sentences.  It was a very awkward evening.
   When we got to the show, I followed him out to our seats.  He led me to the seating area.  Instead of going up toward the higher seats, we went down.  Well, that was good.  But we kept going down and down.  Much to my amazement, I found us facing the floor seats.  Then, even more amazing, we went towards the stage instead of away from it!
   It turned out, we had fourth row floor seats.  I was so close I could see the sweat dripping down his face.  It may have even splashed me a few times. 
   It was an incredible evening, as you can imagine.  Once the music was playing, it didn't matter that I didn't know what to say to the guy next to me, except, "Thank you."
   Much to my date's disappointment, we never went on another date after that.  I hope he still enjoys Bruce Springsteen.
   Life has a tendency to balance out.  The next concert I went to was behind the stage in the very last row!  It was the "Tunnel of Love" tour.  That one, I went with my sister and her friend, so at least when the music was playing, we still had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment