Thursday, March 29, 2018

Book Review: "Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway

I liked this book and I liked how he wrote.  He kept me very engaged.  I didn't like the end, at all.  The last 20 pages just didn't work.  Not only did I not like what happened, I didn't like how it was presented--and it didn't go far enough to explain how the characters felt.
 
The rest of it was good.  Since Hemingway was an ambulance driver in WWI, it had a very real feel to it.  Both the war scenes and the scenes that took place away from the front.  I enjoyed the retreat, the most.  I don't know if he was involved in a retreat, or not, but it was well done.  The romance was all right.  The dialog was very realistic and simple.  We don't talk like most writers write.

I will read more Hemingway in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment