Thursday, March 22, 2018

Book Review: "The Cossacks" by Leo Tolstoy

This was either a long short story or a short novella.  Doesn't matter which--it was wonderful.  I am really becoming a fan of Tolstoy.

A young, rich man decides to get away from it all by joining the military in the outskirts of the frontier.  There, he fell in love with land and the native Cossacks, and eventually fell in love with one particular one.

The characters were vivid--as real as could be.  The story was simple, but intense.  Can he win the girl?  Can he become like the Cossacks?  Is it the life for him?

I loved the horses, who were a minor part of the story, but nowhere in fiction have I ever read about the mythic Karbardin horses.  They are supposed to he the hardiest of horses.  I have seen pictures of them, but that is all.  Without a purpose in war, transportation or agriculture, I have to wonder if the breed still thrives?

No comments:

Post a Comment