Thursday, December 21, 2023

Learning to Drive

 Learning to Drive

I decided to teach Trifecta to ground drive.  I could tell he really isn't into lounging.  It doesn't take long for him to get bored and then he starts to get into trouble.  He needs something else to learn.  This way, he can learn all about reins before I ever get on him.

Years ago, when Mingo was recovering from one of his hoof operations during his never-ending hoof abscess, I decided to teach him to ground drive.  I couldn't ride him, and he could only be walked.  He was bored and needed something new to learn, too.

Since he already had been ridden for years, it didn't take long for him to learn, and we had fun.  As soon as I could ride him, I hung up the reins and never thought of it again--until now.

Trifecta isn't quite ready, yet.  I need him to be sharper with his go forward cue.  I remember when I tried it with Cruiser when he was just 2, and that is where we failed.  I gave up after only one attempt. 

I was thinking about it, wishing I had a horse to practice on before I tried it with Trifecta--and then it dawned on me.  I do!  Dante was taught to drive before Ellen bought him!  Not only that, but he has a quiet temperament, and I knew he would be patient with my fumbling around.

Ellen agreed with it.  One day, after our ride, I got out my brand new driving reins.  We left Dante's saddle on so we could run them through the stirrups.  He stood quietly while I assorted myself.  I ran the outside rein over his back and took the lounging position--that is what the book says to do when you first start a young horse.  I had the inside rein going through the stirrup, but with Trifecta, I won't do that the first time.  I will just hook it up like a lounge line direct to his head.

I asked Dante to walk, and he ignored me.  Ellen came to the rescue and walked with him.  I practiced "driving" but I know that Ellen was controlling everything.  Dante will follow her anywhere.  I told Ellen where I was going so Dante would go where I needed.  We practiced stopping and going.  I soon was in driving position, and we were walking all over the indoor arena--following Ellen, of course.

This worked really well because I got to practice my position, holding the reins and going in big circles both ways.

A few days later, we did it again.  This time when I asked Dante to walk--he just stood there and waited for Ellen.  Day 2 really was much like day 1, but Ellen didn't walk right next to Dante, so I was doing some of the controlling.  We practiced stopping and going, and it went well.  Finally, Ellen moved away from us and I was independently traveling across the indoor arena!  I only went about a minute, and I said we should end on that good note.

Dante was just so patient.  We are planning to do it more.  The better I get before I tackle it with Trifecta, the more success I will have with him.  Dante is such a treasure.

I thought of teaching Cole to ground drive for practice, but then I realized, he would probably just want to do tricks.  I certainly don't need "silly walk," "show trot" and bowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment