Thursday, January 6, 2022

Just an Ordinary Ride


Just an Ordinary Ride

The horses have been so great, lately, that I have had very little to write about.  Yesterday, the weather was rather nice for January.  It was above freezing, the ground was soft, the river was crossable and even the wind wasn't so bad.  It had been gusting very high all day, but by the time I planned to ride, it was still windy, but it was no longer scary.

Though the day was nice, the forecast wasn't.  Colder weather (much colder) was moving in, and even if it warmed up in a few days, the river will be starting to freeze.  This could be my last good day for a trail ride for quite a while.

This ride was my last chance to have a trail story to tell for a while.  I knew I would be on my own, and between the colder weather, being alone and Cole's supper waiting for him when we got back, there was a good chance that I might have a story to tell when I got back.

Wrong.  Cole was perfect.  Though we have been having trouble on our solo rides the last few years, Cole showed me that the work I have been doing with him has helped a lot.  The whole ride was uneventful--just ordinary.

But is there ever a totally ordinary ride.  As I walked down the hill towards the river, I heard a woodpecker squawking away.  I couldn't find it, though.  As we trotted along, I heard some cardinals, a crow and a chickadee, but I couldn't find them, either.  The trail parallels the river.  I heard a kingfisher calling, but when I looked over for him, I couldn't find him.  Where are all the birds hiding?

I also heard other birds that I couldn't identify--or see.  I need to learn the bird calls.  It's not like I can identify them by looking at them.

I even heard a squirrel I couldn't find!

I couldn't even write about all the wildlife I saw!  

Finally, on the way home, I heard the kingfisher and as I glanced over to the river, I saw him cruising down the river.

This wasn't an ordinary ride--it was a one-bird ride.

Cole didn't care about any of the birds.  He just wanted to get home to his supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment