Tuesday, September 11, 2018

911

Hi Tony,
It was 17 years ago that the 911 attack occurred on the Twin Towers.  It was such a terrible time. None of it seemed real to me--it was just too horrible.  I intentionally didn’t watch any of the TV footage. Unlike most people who couldn’t pull themselves away from the TV.  I just listened to the radio coverage.

I was at work when it happened.  It was pretty busy when I heard that the first plane hit, and I thought it was some accident.  I really didn’t pay much attention--in spite of the fact that I had National Public Radio on--as I always did.  When the second plane hit, and they knew it wasn’t an accident, the world stopped. I sat at my desk, doing my mundane work, listening to the radio--all in shock.  

My sister was out riding when it happened.  She called me from the park on her way home when she found out.  I rode in that evening. Whenever I need to make sense of the world, a ride in the park is the best thing for my mind.

The sky really was so very, very blue.  We ride right by the Cleveland Airport. The planes are usually so loud.  It was so quiet for a few days. It just made it all seem so eerie.

In remembrance of the day, here is a link to a song from Bruce Springsteen’s, “The Rising.”  One of my favorites. On an album dedicated to the event, this is the most hopeful one.


Alan Jackson wrote a most poignant song to remember the day.
 

Hope all is well for you.

Sincerely,
Judi



No comments:

Post a Comment