Saturday, February 17, 2018

Book Review: "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Long ago, I had a Sherlock Holmes book, and couldn't make it past halfway.  I just had a hard time reading it, and didn't like it that much.

Since then, Kevin and I have watched all of the TV series "Elementary: and the PBS series "Sherlock."  We loved them.

When I saw this book for only a dollar, I thought I would give it a chance.  I had a hard time reading it, again.  I liked the stories, but I kept stumbling when I read it, and I would have to go back and reread the sentence.  I then decided to take a closer look.  On just a couple pages, I found numerous misplaced commas and missing commas!  Doyle was loose with his punctuation and a bad writer--with good stories.  Whenever my unconscious mind hit bad punctuation or run on sentences, it stumbled.  It goes to show you how important proper commas are.

After that, I didn't read as carefully, and I enjoyed the stories quite a bit.  I liked comparing them to the TV shows, and seeing what they derived from the stories. 

Don't read them carefully, and they are very entertaining stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment