Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Book Review: "The Small House at Allington" by Anthony Trollope - 1864

Another of the Barchester series, and for the most part I liked it.  It is a story of romance--and not just one romance, but quite a few.  There are plots and subplots and everything gets messed up--only to be fixed again.

After a while, I started to get frustrated with the characters--they kept making dumb decisions.  How could they be so thoughtless?  At one point of the novel, it was one bad decision after the next.  I began to lose patience with them.  I know they weren't real, but they sure weren't being smart.

Finally, the novel came to an end, and all the good guys were happy and the bad guys were not.  I think I may take a break from Trollope for a while.  I liked the story, but I want a character that acts a little less impulsively.  Sometimes we have to be practical in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment