Monday, November 27, 2017

Book Review: "Doctor Thorne" by Anthony Trollope - 1858

This is the third of a series of books that I have read by Trollope that take place in Barsetshire.  There is very little overlap from the first book, but it was consistent in the quality of storytelling--and that is what counts. 

Mary is the illegitimate daughter of "unknown" ancestry that is taken in and raised by Doctor Thorne.  She falls in love with the son of the local squire who loves her equally--but must marry for money to save his family estate.

I enjoyed this book completely, and I am sure it won't be the last Trollope on my list.  I liked how he built the characters and the neighborhood--which I am already so familiar with.  The romance was compelling and it also dealt with many other issues of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment