Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Book Review: "Babylon Revisited and other stories" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is a collection of wonderful stories.  Fitzgerald captures the feeling of the roaring twenties, the depression--without seemingly intending to.  He writes so in the moment of his time.  Most of the stories--I simply couldn't put down.  I read them when I was walking Maggie--a story a day.  If I didn't finish it when I got back, I would sit outside until I was done with it.  I just had to see how they ended.

I noted that writing became less descriptively sumptuous over time.  He went from lush, colorful descriptions to nearly skipping descriptions altogether.  Was this because of his life becoming darker or the world becoming darker after the stock market crash?

I was thrilled to hear "The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" mentioned in an episode of "Madmen" just a few days after I read it.

I will be looking for more of his short stories in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment