Trifecta on the Second Rivers
When we go on a trail ride, the trail starts by going down a hill. At the bottom of the hill is the river, and we call that the "first river crossing." Then we decide to go to the left or to the right. Either way we go, we end up at a second river crossing. Most rides, we go to the right because it is a nicer trail and prettier. If we go to the left, it does get nice and pretty, but we have to ride a bit to get to the good sections.
It was time to tackle both "second river crossings." We did the one to the left once last year, and it was uneventful. It is a very easy river to cross because it isn't all that deep and is mostly smooth going. We went over that way to give it a try this year. Ellen joined us on foot and was willing to walk into the water to help him across, but it wasn't necessary. Trifecta stepped right in and walked steadily to the other side. Ellen cut over to the street and crossed on the nearby ford. She met us on the other side, and we rode out to the next intersection, turned around and headed back towards home. Once again, he crossed the river with ease.
The real challenge was riding him down the short, steep hill with the road at the bottom. He tends to rush down slopes, but recently, he has gotten so much better. Well, he walked down it like a champ. I was so proud of him.
Our next challenge was the second river in the other direction. That one is tougher because it is deeper and you have to go over a bunch of rocks and around some other rocks if you go one route or through much deeper water than he has ever been in if we go the other way. The rocky way is trickier, but I decided to go that way because I was hoping it would slow him down.
Ellen was with us on foot, but I had done some trotting and left her far behind. I figured that if he didn't want to cross, we could wait until she caught up. I didn't need to worry about that in the least. I rode down the river bank and asked him to step in. After the first step, he never stopped--I couldn't have stopped him if I tried because he was so excited! I threaded him over the small rocks and around the big rocks--ducking under the tree branches and then up the steep bank on the other side. He did go faster than I would have liked, so that is something we will need to work on.
I rode on a short way to the bottom of a hill and turned him around. Immediately, he spun around to face the hill. I tried again with the same results. The little guy didn't want to go home! I was able to turn him around and get him going towards the river. As we neared it, we saw Ellen on the other side.
Now for the part I was really worried about. Remember when I said he tends to rush down slopes? I had ride him down a river bank that is twice as long and much steeper than he is accustomed to. He has bolted down the one at the first river crossing in the past and then tried to trot across the water. I stopped him at the top, took a deep breath and gave him his command for sensible hill descents, "control." I guided him down the slope at an angle to decrease the steepness, and he walked carefully down into the river. What a relief! He did just what we have been training him for. He happily marched across the river--faster than I wanted him to but he was sure footed and sensible.
From there, Ellen and I just walked home together. He is turning into a great trail horses!
.jpeg)
No comments:
Post a Comment